So the weekend of fun has come to an end! Myriah's visit was both eventful and uneventful at times, and we felt fine about that. I'm going to have to break it up into several posts over the next few days.
This post is dedicated to SFG.
Myriah arrived Saturday morning. After eating breakfast and lunch and sitting around for a bit, we headed out to the Moana Nursery where we attended a packed presentation on Square Foot Gardening (SFG) by Mel Bartholomew himself! (It really was packed; we weren't expecting that! We also didn't expect to be the only people there with a kid...)
I know, you are probably asking yourself, "Who?"
Mel Bartholomew. That's who.
So, long story short, a few weeks ago Myriah told me about how her mom was all into this SFG business. I had never heard of it. Myr's family planted their own SFG in the backyard because of this guy's book--there was a peanut throwdown and everything. Myriah's mom is in love with SFG and Mel; Mel was going to be here the same weekend as Myriah. It thus became out duty to have a book signed by Mel for Myriah's mom.
So anyway, we went. We listened. We conquered.
Here we are, waiting in line to have our books signed. The excitement is oozing from the picture!
And here with are with Mel himself! Notice how we all matched. It's like it was meant to be...
Oh, and here I am with Mike, Sky and Mel. We needed a family shot to remember what is clearly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
The presentation was followed by some plant shopping and "Feats of Strength." I won.
We then came home and proceeded to prepare our own SFG here in Reno. This is what happened:
The planter boxes are still empty. Plants are on the kitchen counter. It's just been too windy to plant them! I'll definitely post the finished product later this week.
Thank you, Myriah, for bringing SFG and Mel into our lives! Your timing could not have been better. Just ask Mel.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
SFG and We!
Posted by Kylie at 12:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
My mom also owns that book! I have been very interested in SFGing for a while now. I am extremely jealous of your weekend!
Way to make good use of your guests. I was just thinking..."I haven't heard from Ky in a while...maybe I should call her". Glad to know you had a busy and fun filled weekend with a fun person. :)
Man, how did I miss the book signing? Your garden does look nice though!
Leisa: We totally thought we saw you in a car at a stop light in Reno. At first we were super excited, but then upset as we pondered why you didn't contact us as soon as you got into town!
Turns out it wasn't you, so we stopped being mad. It was a close one, though.
Kylie: The word verification right now is "minting" which I think is a verb meaning to use mint in your garden or recipes.
Post a Comment