My cat is pretty amazing at catching things. Mice, rabbits, quails, huge dragonflies, normal flies, grasshoppers, lizards, trespassers; you name it, she'll catch it.
One day, in Utah, we had 3 flies in our house. Mike, his parents and I all took turns trying to whack them with newspaper but didn't manage to kill any. So we decided to give Hero a go at it. Within 5 minutes of her being in the house, she caught and ate all 3 flies. True story.
Since we've moved into our new house she has killed 20 mice, 1 quail, 1 rabbit and a handful of large dragonflies (that we know of; we have found several half-mice at the back door so we aren't really sure how to tally those). She also scared off the pigeon that was pooing at our front door.
As you know, we've been landscaping the backyard. Until we started this, Hero hardly knew we had a back door. Nowadays, with a new patio to play on, this is a common sight from the family room slider:
Yesterday, Sky and I went for a walk and Hero followed, as usual. Three of my neighbors were outside and asked similar versions of, "Is that your cat? Hero?"
I had no idea people knew my cat's name. I didn't know she had become "the neighborhood cat." Apparently the neighbors like her for keeping the local vermin population to a manageable level. Way to go, Hero!
Considering this news, we are willing to rent her out for a reasonable daily fee. She does her best work under the cover of night.
NOTE: We do not take responsibility for cleaning up any miscellaneous dead things left at your doorstep. Also, we would encourage you not to leave close-toed shoes outside while renting Hero. If you have a sliding glass door, it would be advisable to temporarily remove the screen. Hero is a cat. If you are allergic to cats, a few mouse traps hidden in the yard may solve your problem in a hive-less way.
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Cat and Mouse
Posted by Kylie at 1:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yeah, remember when the crazy neighbors in MoVal used to plant broken bottles jagged-side up all along the fenceline to keep Patches and Tom out? Then they wondered why they had gophers but no one else in the neighborhood did!!! Doofus-heads!
Don't let the SPCA see the next few versions of that picture you posted. ;)
How does she do on roofs? We have a few pigeons who created a home in our eaves. Jay was going to get a bb gun, but I wasn't sure how the neighbors would take to him standing in the street shooting a gun at our house.
I'm allergic and I would still rent her. How does she do with squirrels and dogs? I know she could take the rabbits and birds, but the dogs don't shut up and squirrels are fast. Bring her over, she could feast in our neighborhood!
HA! Steph, I did not take pictures of the dying mouse...I closed the curtains and let nature take its course. Circle of life, right?
I'll just leave her in your backyard, Brittany...in the wheelbarrow. But she'll probably be pooing in the sandbox by the time you notice her.
Post a Comment