Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Strawberry Preserves

I made the mistake of buying Smucker's Strawberry Preserves. It was a great deal at Costco.


I saw this and thought, "jam." Isn't that what you think of when you see it?

The whole point of my buying jam over jelly was for the spreadability inherent in the very idea of jam. 

It starts out well enough. I'm spreading the jam and then WHAM! A preserved strawberry, all lumpy and unspreadable.

The only chunks I want in my PB&J are the peanut chunks from my extra chunky PB (also a great deal at Costco, but one I was thrilled to find chunks in). I don't even know what to think when I bite into a preserved strawberry. My first thought is, "Spit it out! It's unnatural!"

I guess I'll just feed all those preserves to Mike...

4 comments:

Myriah Cohen said...

I was just discussing PB&J with my mother and Judy. It seems to me that if the PB&J is not to a person's exact specifications, it is suddenly horrible! Like poison! This phenomenon is specific to PB&J sandwiches though, I think. I hear people complain "Too much peanut butter" "Not enough jelly" "I hate chunky peanut butter," but rarely do I hear people complain if there is too much lettuce on their turkey sandwich. You know, if someone puts a little more mayo on my turkey sandwich than I usually like, it doesn't matter too much. But if someone puts too much peanut butter on my PB&J, it's a major ordeal to try and choke that thing down.

Leisa Waldron said...

Ewe gross! Like the chunky slimy tomatoes in store bought salsa. That is why we only eat fresh salsa. I will make you some jam my sister. :)

Mike said...

I feel fine about the little strawberry... Don't give him a hard time just cause he's a fighter!

Kylie said...

And that is why you get to eat him!