This weekend Mike, Skylar and I had the opportunity to fly to Utah for Grandpa Laney's funeral. It was pretty amazing, actually. Grandpa had an amazing and happy life full of family, accomplishments, honesty and integrity; his life is a shining example for all of his family and friends.
The services were spiritual and happy, and Grandpa finally looked peaceful and relaxed after a difficult set of health problems over the past few years. The talks and musical numbers were beautiful and a fitting tribute to such an inspirational man.
After the funeral, the family went to the cemetery. As one of very few remaining WWII veterans, Grandpa was buried with full military honors, including a 21-gun salute and flag ceremony. Grandpa was a true patriot and I know he must have been saluting along with these other soldiers.
I don't know if it is weird to take photographs of times like this, but I'm pretty sure Grandpa would support it. He was a photographer himself. When he was losing his eyesight, he gave me his photography equipment, looked me in the eye and told me he expected me to "put it to good use."
The services were spiritual and happy, and Grandpa finally looked peaceful and relaxed after a difficult set of health problems over the past few years. The talks and musical numbers were beautiful and a fitting tribute to such an inspirational man.
After the funeral, the family went to the cemetery. As one of very few remaining WWII veterans, Grandpa was buried with full military honors, including a 21-gun salute and flag ceremony. Grandpa was a true patriot and I know he must have been saluting along with these other soldiers.
I don't know if it is weird to take photographs of times like this, but I'm pretty sure Grandpa would support it. He was a photographer himself. When he was losing his eyesight, he gave me his photography equipment, looked me in the eye and told me he expected me to "put it to good use."
I've posted a few photos from the cemetery. There are some I would love to share of the family there at the cemetery, but they are too personal for a blog. So I've chosen just a few to show how beautiful the ceremony was.


I haven't been to many funerals before, but of the funerals I've attended this was the biggest turnout I've ever seen. In his 89 years, Grandpa made a strong positive impression on so many lives. We even ran into a guy from our ward here in Reno, Bro. Edwards, who is connected to my family in several ways but I'd never have known it if not for the funeral.
Following the cemetery, we went back to the church for a luncheon provided by my Grandparents' ward Relief Society. Grandma looked so pretty.

Though I wish the circumstances had been different, Grandpa's passing provided an opportunity for Grandma and Skylar to meet. Skylar is always wiggling around, and Grandma wanted to hold her but was worried she would wiggle away. As soon as I handed her to Grandma, she calmed down and let Grandma just cuddle her and hold her and rock her to sleep.

I wish Skylar had been able to know Grandpa and vice versa. I know she would have just loved him.

3 comments:
Thanks Kyker. I love the picture of you all and Grandma. I wish I could have come. And Sky asleep on Grandma's lap is so cute. Don't you love when your kid is just too cute. :) Love you too!
These are great pictures. Your grandpa sounds like a wonderful man. I have a tremendous amount of respect for veterans. Hope you are doing well!
What a great tribute.
Post a Comment