Saturday, April 5, 2008

This Just In: Totally Clueless!

I've come to the surprising realization that I have no idea what pregnancy is like. I mean, I know the basics; women tend to be nauseous for a while, then they start to look pregnant, then they start to look very pregnant, then they have a baby, etc. I also know that there is more to it than what I just wrote, but I'm trying to keep this paragraph short so work with me here.

Let me explain. I believe television and movies have put a false pregnancy knowledge base in my head. Let's go back to when I found out I was pregnant. Clearly I suspected myself to be pregnant, so I invested in a 2-pack pregnancy test. (I only used one and don't plan to use the other, so if you want it give me a ring. Save yourself $8-$14.) I did as the box instructed and received the double-line confirmation that yes, I was indeed pregnant.

Next, I called the doctor's office thinking I had to go in for a pregnancy test (like a blood test or something) because hey, that's what they do on TV. That's how Diane Keaton found out she was pregnant on Father of the Bride Part 2 ("The father of the bride is having a boobie?!" Oh, I love Martin Short). The receptionist was quite rude and told me she didn't understand why I needed to come in for a test if I'd taken a home test. I fought back tears (yet another confirmation that I was pregnant...I'm not one to break into tears on phone calls) and ended the call.

Apparently no woman ever goes into the doctor's office to take any sort of pregnancy test unless she has fertility issues or happens to be on a TV show. Or if her husband happens to be a doctor and by going into the office she will get a free test and can save herself $8-$12.

My next bit of confusion floats around ultrasounds. I was under the impression that you have an ultrasound at each monthly appointment. Well, you don't. Good thing I asked my sister first or I might have been very upset when the doctor neglected to show me my kid yesterday!

Well...that's about it with my confusion so far. I take most things with an open mind and the pregnancy has been smooth as butter.

On a happier note, I was excited to be able to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time yesterday, as was Mike. Mike is also happy that I'm starting to show a bit. I'm starting to wonder if he prefers a tubbier version of me...

9 comments:

Kaylene said...

The nice thing is, you don't have to know - your body does it for you and all you gotta do is roll with the punches :) And kicks, wiggles...

Brady and Rachel said...

You are too funny Kylie. In case you haven't heard about heart burn I will foreworn you about that. Then again you may not have to deal with it, but I had it bad with Tayson the last half of my pregnancy (no nausea or anything the first half). It is an exciting time for you guys though. Good luck and enjoy it!

AnnEE said...

Amen about the Heartburn. And the baby will get hiccups all of the time. It's annoying, not really cute.

Kylie said...

Lol, you guys are funny. Kaylene--I can't say how glad I am for that fact!

Concerning heartburn, I have heard many stories and must say I am not looking forward to it! Leisa had it when she was pregnant and has warned me against certain foods that seemed to make it worse for her.

What can pregnant women take for heartburn?

Leisa Waldron said...

I am so glad that you finally blogged about these experiences. It is just so fun to have my sister finally pregnant! I love to hear your stories and hopefully give helpful advice, so don't be afraid to tell me when it is time to be quiet. LOL

Leisa Waldron said...

Oh yes, and be foreworned of getting a lot of advice from people who have no idea what they are talking about! That is the most annoying, trying to be patient with people who think that they are really important...or that their opinion is the only on.

curtjen said...

Husbands tend to be very sweet when you're pregnant. I often wondered if my husband prefered me tubbier too. lol. Charlie horses in your legs should come. I usually got mine about 2 months before I was due. Watch out for those.

Ashley Clark said...

You can tums for the heartburn. :-)

McKayJoice said...

Can i just say that this all came as a shock to me too. Glad you are blogging about this.