I'm writing this post separately so the other chick posts can be more exciting. Feel free to ignore it if you just don't care. :)
I decided about a year ago that I'd like our family to have some backyard chickens. I checked some books out from the library, bought a fun book, and (as always) researched the hell out of chickens. I researched breeds, coops, noise level, city laws, chicken food, chicken poop, farm fresh eggs, benefits, negative, and did I mention chicken poop? You name it. I've logged a lot of late-night hours reading up on chickens. As I write this, I'm watching a super weird video about chickens on Amazon Prime. Mostly because Hulu isn't working and Mike is at work.
Mike was on board with the chicken talk as soon as he realized I wasn't joking. Or sometime near that.
So why chickens? Am I a granola eating, tree hugging hippie? I do like the occasional handful of granola, and I'll probably hug my lemon trees when they finally fruit, but you know I would never give up my Oreos. Also, I don't plan on giving up chicken in my diet, but Heather hopes I might.
My main reasoning:
1. They make great pets! Chickens are somewhat low maintenance, on a household pet scale, and teach responsibility without too much stress. I guess we could train them to walk on a leash, but I'm not Kramer. And hopefully none of these chicks will grow up to be roosters!
2. I'm a big believer in kids having and caring for pets. Kids need something to take care of at least some time during their younger years! If you never had a pet growing up, you should know your childhood lacked a lot of happiness. That's sad. You should have had a pet.
3. Chickens give back. Sky and Harper will be able to collect eggs from their own chickens. We can make cookies with those eggs! Pancakes! Scrambled eggs! I hear backyard eggs taste much better. I'm sure the chickens do, too, but we're not eating the chickens. Stop it.
4. Chickens are funny. Have you ever seen a chick fall asleep? Hilarious. Come over and watch.
5. I really love the idea of eating food that is produced in our own backyard. The eggs, not the chickens.
6. Chicken poop is a great fertilizer? This wasn't actually a deciding factor, but it's a bonus. Chicken poop is definitely a plus AND a minus. But my flowers will be gorgeous!
After lots of research, I decided on a few specific breeds. I was more interested in a flock of friendly chickens than a colorful egg basket, so we've ended up with all brown eggers. I'm okay with it! I really wanted an Ameraucana for some blue or green eggs, but we've already filled the coop. So to speak. Haven't actually built the coop yet.
Oh, you. I can hear you forming that joke in your head. I said stop it! Seriously, we're not eating the chickens. Don't joke to the kids! They will cry! Do you want to make two small girls cry? What kind of person are you?
There. That's why we just brought home 6 baby chicks!

1 comments:
Kylie! you are the best person/mother/chicken researcher I know. Another added bonus cute factor will be when you have too many eggs to eat, Sky can sell some of the eggs to neighbors. There is a cute girl across the street from my mom who brings her over a dozen fresh eggs once a week or so. And it's adorable!!! Her own little business.
Post a Comment