Remember the amazing lemon tree at our rental? I loved that tree. The lemons were incredible and it fruited year-round and I wanted to adopt it and keep it forever as my third child.
Then we bought a house and my dreams of having a lemony third were looking grim. So I settled on having its babies.
This is taking a weird turn. In reality, I did my research and learned that I could clone that lovely lemon tree by taking a cutting from the tree's younger growth and rooting it using a rooting hormone and a 75/25 vermiculite-to-soil combo. Planting a seed doesn't ensure the same quality of fruit or hardiness of tree, but by rooting a cutting you are literally growing the same tree and fruit as the mama tree.
I took 12 cuttings. I really want that lemon tree.
This morning's check proved success! So far, four of my cuttings have rooted and two look like they are seriously considering it. I am more excited than I should be!
My little painter's-plastic-and-duct-tape greenhouse must be happy in its bay window!
Friday, October 19, 2012
Lemony Thicket
Posted by Kylie at 9:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Man, I would love a lemon tree...
Post a Comment