Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Rough Start

We had a rough start to our little flock. I didn't want to write this post because admitting the loss of two little chicks is hard. I did everything I could do to try to save the little babies, and it wasn't enough. We lost two of five chicks in less than 48 hours.

The girls and I were anxious to get our chicks, so when I discovered that the majority of the breeds we wanted were hatched and ready, we jumped the gun and zoomed to the feed shop to get our babies! And so it was that last Thursday night, we brought home five adorable little chicks.

We were immediately in love. Mike stopped at Home Depot on his way home to buy materials to build a larger brooder, and everyone was excited. We had everything the little chicks would need to be happy!

Unfortunately, not knowing any better, we snatched up the chicks that were easiest to catch. Two of the little babies just didn't have it in them to grow into hens. One had a disease of some sort and couldn't walk, eat, or drink. Despite my best efforts to give her food and water, she died Friday afternoon.

She was the sweetest little chick and Sky's immediate favorite. When I told Sky I didn't think the chick was going to make it, she asked, "Can I hold her one last time before she dies?"


This picture breaks my heart. Could Sky be any sweeter?

I sobbed for hours the night that first tiny chick died. I didn't even mean to bring her home in the first place. She was a Silver Laced Wyandotte, and I'd already chosen one of those. She ended up in our box while we were looking at the breeds, and I distractedly (Harper was dumping out the bunny's water) put the wrong chick back and brought the sick baby home. 

Skylar and I buried her while Mike was at work.

And then there's Lucy. Sky picked a name for her chick a week before we picked the chicks up. She wanted a yellow chick, so we decided to get her a Buff Orpington. This chick was the one I was the most excited to add to our flock! Here she is, top left, cute as can be. 



The feed shop had some Buff Orpingtons, so we brought a sweet yellow chick home with the group. She seemed fine for a day, but started to go downhill Friday afternoon, soon after the first baby died. That night, I knew little Lucy wasn't going to make it, either. But I really hoped she would.

Sky came into our room Saturday morning and said, "You should come and look at Lucy." Sure enough, Lucy was gone. I'd already spend the night sobbing about the chicks, and I just couldn't take it. Mike helped Sky bury Lucy next to the little Wyandotte.

If you are planning to get chicks, take your time choosing. Go for the strongest! Chase after the fast ones, and maybe buy older babies. These chicks were only 2-3 days old, and I didn't really believe the feed shop owner when he told me to buy 6 or 7 if I wanted to end up with 4. I knew there was a chance one wouldn't make it, but I never thought we could lose two. It was a hard start for us, but the chicks we have now are curious and busy and perfectly happy in their brooder! Here's to hoping they don't start crowing in a few months.

0 comments: