A brooder is a temporary home for chicks until they are ready for the great outdoors. It is meant to be used with a heat lamp to keep the chicks toasty and happy.
When we brought our chicks home last Thursday the girls and I discovered that the makeshift storage bin brooder I'd slapped together that morning wasn't going to work out. It was just too small for six chicks and wouldn't last long.
I called Mikey and told him we needed to build a larger brooder. Something cheap, since it's only a temporary home for the chicks. Mike stopped by Home Depot on his way home that night and whipped up this little puppy Friday morning:
That picture should give you an idea of the size. You know Harper was ticked off when we made her get out! I thought the window would be good for Harper, but she finds a way to look over the top anyway. Mike built the brooder. I told him what I wanted, and he delivered! I can't say it enough: everyone needs a Mike.
We have the brooder in the house so we can keep an eye on the chicks. Yep. We're obsessed.



0 comments:
Post a Comment