Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tropical Punch. Punch Tropical.

November 17th is today. It is also the 10th anniversary of the legendary first kiss between two freaking awesome people.

I'm talking about me and Mike. You knew that. Don't pretend otherwise.

Yes, it was a legendary first kiss. Back in the days when Mike's cheesiness was at its peak.

November 17, 2001. It was cold, windy, stormy. There was to be a meteor shower that night, and Mike invited me over to watch it at his house. It was a Saturday and my curfew was 11:30pm.

I showed up at Mike's house only to find that 1) the meteor shower wasn't going to happen until 2am; and 2) there was so much cloud cover we'd never be able to see any meteors anyway. I'd been duped. After lying so convincingly to Mike about being a twin to my sister Leisa (who I'd said was sent away for school); after telling him a random lie every day at work, just to see if he'd believe me (which he always did), Mike had managed to trick me. ME!

No he hadn't. But it makes the story more exciting, doesn't it?

Hey, stop it. Stop looking at me like I am a terrible, lying person. I can be a very convincing liar and I've always enjoyed getting a good laugh out of a gullible person. Mike has learned over time to doubt most of what I say. But you should know I always set the record straight, after an appropriate amount of laughing time has passed.

So back to it. Yes, Mike knew we'd never be able to see any meteors but for some reason he felt he needed an excuse to invite me over so there you have it. Not that I didn't know his secret plan. He'd asked me once after work, "Can Mormon's kiss?" so I knew he had something up his silky, dragon shirt sleeve. Something brewing in that spiky-tipped head of his.

With the meteor show off, we decided to watch a movie we both love: Monty Python and the Holy Grail. We settled in with some kind of snack and water. Something romantic, like crackers. We may have had Italian sodas--I used to think those were awesome. There we were watching the evil rabbit attack the knights at the cave with his big, nasty pointy teeth. The setting was ideal. My lips were dry, so I applied some Tropical Punch lip balm. Mike leaned over and asked what it was, so I handed it to him.

"Tropical Punch. Punch Tropical" he read. Because that's what the label said. "Tropical Punch. Punch Tropical."

"Yep."

"So. Does it taste like Tropical Punch?"

"Umm...maybe. Kinda."

And then wham! Mike attacked me all Monty-Python-rabbit-style, straight for the jugular! No he didn't. He leaned over and gave me a tiny little peck on the lips. Then he licked his lips and said something like, "Yep, it kind of does. But I probably need another taste."

I laughed a lot. Fairly loud, I think. I have never been very good at accepting cheese, unless it is on a cracker or melted in a High Tech Burrito. Or on a quesadilla, or grilled cheese sandwich. I love cheese. But I was raised to scoff at cheesy men, so that's my natural instinct.

Mike was undeterred by my laughter and went in for another, slightly longer kiss, and so here we find ourselves today, 6 years married and 2 kids later. Better hair, better at reading each other. Better at reading altogether, actually. Still laughing at each other and watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Still using lip balm, as most people do. Still wishing we could see a blasted meteor shower, but happy to be together and pretend we know what it's like to see balls of fire as they shoot through the Earth's atmosphere because there is just no way we're purposely staying up until 3am anymore.

Mike is a romantic at heart, and I...have a heart that loves Mike. A lot. Happy First Kiss Anniversary, Mikey!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the best at telling stories. Why are you so hilarious and awesome?

bronwyn said...

I love this!

Carla L. said...

Best story ever! And I think we can probably believe the vast majority of it. The dragon shirt. The spiky hair. The ultimate cheese. You two are truly amazing!