Mike got home from work at around 12:30am last night (or this morning?). Lame.
Since Mike was gone I decided to read. Naturally, I chose to finish reading a murder mystery. Good idea, Ky--read a murder mystery when you are alone and the heater keeps kicking on and making the house creak and pop. Brilliant.
Despite totally freaking myself out, I'm glad I finished the book! Definitely a good one. It was The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny. The latest of the "Three Pines Mystery" series. I have yet to read the first book of the series, but I'll get to it.
Like I said, this was a murder mystery. You should know by now that I have a semi-eclectic taste in books. For instance, I also recently read Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality. And that's exactly what it was about. And now I want a seahorse.
I'll probably never read a western, though. Don't hold your breath.
Back to the murder mystery review. In short, the book was great. The main character of this series is Chief Inspector Armand Gamache--he makes me feel like I need more patience in my life. It is set in Quebec so there are plenty of French words chucked around. I thought there was more humor here than in the second novel, A Fatal Grace. I like humor. You should like humor, too. If you don't, I recommend a Big Think.
Louise Penny's mysteries have a very Agatha Christie/traditional mystery feel about them. In fact, A Fatal Grace won the Agatha award for Best Novel.
I give this book 4 stars. Read it.

4 comments:
Already did - AND I read the first two also! Excellent review BTW...
OH, do you have the seahorse book? I want to read that. I caught the end of her on NPR, and at first I immediately thought of this article on theonione - http://www.theonion.com/content/video/expert_on_anteaters_wasted_entire. But within a few minutes, I was totally captivated. The NPR interview is here - http://odeo.com/episodes/25062927-Helen-Scales-Poseidon-s-Steed-Gotham-Books, if you're interested.
Lol!! Steph, that is hilarious! I just watched the anteater video. HA! So funny!
"You know, they're on the endangered species list and they're all going to die soon."
I just got that seahorse book from the library. Hop over and pick 'er up!
I'm a big fan of Agatha... perhaps I will give this a read.
Post a Comment