Monday, August 4, 2008

Boyz in the Hood: Part 2

The second half of NickJosh's visit was probably less eventful than the first half, what with the lack of doctor's visits. Truth is, they were perfectly content chillaxin' at our apartment while playing hours and hours of Assassin's Creed, Black and White and messing around on Blender. I think they found it refreshing to be able to play without having anyone harass them about it, though I did constantly have to remind them to move away from the TV. For some reason they prefer to stand 1' from the 46" screen.

I felt fine about them playing video games for a week. It gave me a chance to finish reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Now I can move on to book 5!

Oh, as a quick side story Josh called up my mom Monday afternoon to ask if he could play Halo 2. Apparently he was concerned about the fact that the game sometimes uses profanities. If you know Josh, that's just him. Funny kid that he is, he dialed my parent's home number and couldn't get through. The conversation went as follows:

Josh: "What the crap? I dialed the phone number but nothing is happening. What the crap is wrong with the phone? This isn't working!"
Kylie: "You need to dial the area code--did you dial '925?'"
Josh: "I thought that is only if you are in another state."
Kylie: "We're in Nevada."
Josh: "What? I thought Reno was in California."
Mike: "Last night when we drove over the Nevada border we said, 'Welcome to Nevada!'"
Josh: "I thought you were kidding."
Mike: "Did you know Berkeley has a different area code than Orinda? So if you were in Berkeley you would have to dial '925' to call your house, too. That is only 10 minutes away from your house."
Josh (gives Mike a very skeptical look as if to say 'yeah, right'): "I'm going to call Mom now. So do I have to dial a '1' first?"

As reported in the previous post, we did end up going to see Hancock. Mike and I had already seen it, but we didn't mind seeing it again. It was either Hancock or Journey to the Center of the Earth (which Mike and I saw in 3D with some of his coworkers) and given the choice we chose Hancock.

Just before the movie started Mike came in with some popcorn, which spilled when he sat down. He went back out to ask for a refill, but apparently he wasn't quick enough. Nick wanted popcorn and he didn't want to wait. Here are some lovely shots of Nick eating popcorn that I can only assume was on the ground. Also, you can see that Josh is trying to keep him from making this huge mistake. (I did not encourage this popcorn eating, but I did comply to his requests for documentation of said event.)



After the movie we went to Cold Stone where Nick waited for 15 minutes to use the bathroom only to find that a woman had clogged up the toilet and had been in the bathroom trying to plunge. I told him, "If someone has been in a bathroom for more than 5 minutes I wouldn't want to go in there after them." But Nick did go in after her, and finding the toilet to be clogged he apparently "went pee anyway," washed his hands and came back out. I don't want to know how that toilet story ends.

Thursday night we went to the pool again with Mike and some friends. Then we drove back to Orinda on Friday. Josh told me he didn't want to leave because he liked it here, so I'm going to go ahead and say they had a good time visiting us!

4 comments:

Myriah Cohen said...

First, have you ever seen "Sisterz in Zion,"? or something like that....

Second, Mikey has no idea what he's talking about. Area codes? What the heck?

Third, Really guys? Popcorn not straight from the bucket?

Fourth, I'm dying to know how the toilet story works out. Keep me posted.

Mike said...

Sick... That's all I have to say.
Nick definitely ate the popcorn right off the ground (although it was "fresh").
As for the end of the toilet story: the world may never know...

Kylie said...

The world SHOULD never know! I pitty the fool who had to deal with that toilet fiasco...

Our Little Family said...

Holy Cow...that is disgusting. I had to deal with that type of situation when I was an early morning custodian in college. It is not fun. Nick & Josh are so big now...I remember when we would babysit them when they were 2 years old...time flies! I love reading your blog and it sounds like all is well!