Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sleepbiter?

Since before Harper had teeth, she's munched on everything. As babies do. Teeth came and the munching left marks on all kinds of things; furniture, cups, utensils, me. She also destroyed several books during nap time when she smuggled them into her crib. I thought she'd grown out of the book destruction stage, but have noticed a few chomped cardboard bits near the edge of her bed recently.

This afternoon, I walked into her room to wake her from her nap. She stretched, then sat up. I said, "Wake up, Harp! Are you ready to get up?"

Harper, completely spaced out, ignored me and picked up a book.

I said, "Harper. Harper?"

She slowly lifted the book to her mouth.

Me: "Harper. Don't eat the book."
Harper: *slowly opens mouth*
Me: "Harp! Don't!"
Harper: *closes mouth*
Me: "Don't bite your books, babe."
Harper: *slowly opens mouth, moves book closer*
Me: "Harp! Stop!"
Harper: *spaced, holding book at open mouth*
Me: "Hey! Hey, Harp! What are you doing?"
Harper: *snaps out of fantasy world and looks up, makes eye contact and slowly smiles.*

As you can see, I'm left with two obvious choices here. I can (1) admit she's part-gremlin; or (2) assume she is a sleepbiter.

My innate love for her causes me to lean toward the latter. Only time shall tell.

2 comments:

Carla L. said...

gives an entirely new meaning to "devouring" books!

Kylie said...

It really does!