Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Kauai Day 2: Hike and a Sunset

We got back from Kauai five weeks ago tomorrow. Today I uploaded the pictures to my desktop.

I have all kinds of great intentions involving picturific blog posts, but time is ticking, baby. So here's one for future generations to remember us by, in the all too likely case that another month goes by before I finally get the rest of those dreamer posts done.

This post is dedicated to Day 2 of our Kauai trip. Day 2 started with breakfast on the lanai, house-related phone calls for Mike and Puka dogs for lunch, followed by a hike through Weimea Canyon.

On our way to the trail we'd chosen, we stopped at Puu Hinahina Lookout. Proof:


It was very windy, and I nearly lost my new hiking hat. It has SPF 50 protection, so I think it's clear to everyone that I needed it.


I took the hat off and held it for safekeeping. Then we took some more pictures. Mike's hair was wild. You'll notice in future pictures that it mysteriously disappears partway through the trip.


In our extremely cool fashion, we managed to call Grammy, Sky and Harper via Google Hangout on my iPhone from the top of this lookout! It was cool. We are so cool. Can you even handle this coolness?!

The lookout looked over this ridge in the canyon. Please notice the tiny hikers. We were soon to become them.


We hiked along some of these trails. Most notably, the Waipoo Falls trail, which is a damn hard 1.0 MI.


This picture was taken from where we stood on the ridge from the previous picture of the tiny hikers. Somewhere along that mountain top is the lookout we talked to our babies from.


We made it to Waipoo Falls!


Unfortunately, that picture makes it look more impressive than it was. A recent fire had diverted the water flow and caused the once grand falls to turn into a cute little trickle.


We made impressive poses to make up for the less-than-impressive falls.



 It is my belief that this green pool of stagnant mosquito water was behind the pesky bites that plagued me for the rest of the trip. Curse you, green slime!



Here we are at the lovely Kalalau Lookout at the end of the highway from the north side of Kauai. We'd just finished our hike in Weimea Canyon to aforementioned mozzie-ridden watertrickle and decided to head north to see where the road would take us because, hey, we didn't have to be anywhere else. Heading north took us here:



The view was gorgeous! It was also chilly, but we are nothing if not prepared. If not semi-prepared. 

We decided to stick around for the sunset and while we were waiting, we started snapping pictures. Naturally, a rainbow noticed and wanted in on the fun.


And so did we.



The sun finally set, and we called it a night. I wish we could go back and do it again right now! But this time I would bring more trail mix and water. Maybe a Snickers bar.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love how "a rainbow noticed and wanted in on the fun." Looks AWESOME!