Monday, October 5, 2009

Happy Birthday, Skylar!!!

Skylar is 1 today! What? Seriously?!


Yes. Seriously!

She got her first-ever birthday card from Great Grandma Laney a couple of days ago. I gave it to her and she has been carrying it around all weekend!

Can't believe it, but it's true. I have some pictures to post, but my computer is currently possessed so I'll have to wait for Mike to come home and fix it tonight. (Built-in technicians are the best.) That will work best anyway, since we'll have some fun birthday cake pictures to post tonight as well!

For now, the monthly review:
  • Sky now runs. She has left walking in the dust. She says, "walking is for babies."
  • Her favorite toys right now are a stuffed gorilla, a wooden spoon, anything that will fit on her head and her new ball pit (birthday present from Mommy and Daddy)!
  • She continues to chase the cat around. The cat continues to evade her.
  • Her newest thing is to bring us our shoes whenever she wants to go somewhere. If we ignore the shoes, she brings another pair. Then another. She is incredibly persistent.
  • Skylar is a dancing queen! She LOVES So You Think You Can Dance. She dances to anything, including hymns at church and commercial jingles.
  • She only wants to eat what we are eating. (Completely offended if we try to give her baby food.)
  • Recently, she has been very cuddly and snuggly. We are loving it! She has never been a snuggly baby, so it is really fun to have her walk up and give us hugs and kisses and snuggles. So sweet.
  • I've been teaching her some basic ASL so she can tell me what she wants without either of us freaking out. She can sign "eat" and "sleep" so far. We're working on "milk," "juice," "thank you" and "more."
  • She's still a mama's girl. Sorry, Mike.
  • Her only word is still "Hi!" She says "mama" and "dada" but I'm not convinced she's saying it to us. I think she just likes those sounds a lot. She also meows at the cat and says "ooh ooh ee ee" at her gorilla.
  • Her favorite thing in the world is when Mike chases her around. She has a fake scared scream and runs to me to save her from the daddy monster. She just cracks up the whole time and we get a good little family workout. We (Mike and I) also get lots of bruises crawling around on the tile.
This is such a fun age. Skylar learns something new every day, it's so cool. She is turning into a big girl! She didn't even ask if that was okay. I guess it is.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SKYLAR!! We love you!

2 comments:

Carla L. said...

Happy Birthday Sky Muffin!!! I can't believe she's already one - especially since I haven't aged at all this past year (4 months in grandma years as opposed to dog years). She is such an exceptional child, leaving all the other one-year olds in the dust. Keep those photos coming! We are SOOOOOOO excited for this weekend!

Ashley Clark said...

That went by so quickly! Happy Birthday to her.