Monday, June 9, 2008

IT'S ALIVE!

This being my first time as a pregnant woman I am learning all sorts of things. Some of my more recent realizations include:

  • A pregnant woman is bigger than she thinks. That's why she knocks everything off the table when she turns around, and why she gets stuck between large moving boxes in the hallway even though she "knew" she could fit through.
  • Pregnant women just can't hold it in. I have always prided myself on my ability to hold it in for hours on end. I have attempted this in my pregnancy and thought I was still fairly successful, then a certain mother tells me this will lead to pre-term labor and/or kidney stones and other miscellaneous infections. So now, when I have to go...I go. Damn those mothers for ruining all our fun! (kidding)
  • Pregnant women have funky belly buttons. I have never wanted to see what my belly button really looked like, but apparently I have no choice in the matter. And it looks funky.
I have been feeling this little squirt moving around for a very long time now. Mike has been able to feel her for almost as long as I have--she throws some mean kicks and punches out of that tiny body!

But as she was practicing her Kung Fu a couple of days ago I happened to look down and realized that not only can I feel her moving, I can see it! I'm pretty sure it freaks Mike out.

It is a strange thing to look down at your belly and see it popping around. That's all.

7 comments:

Scott and Kristine said...

Have you seen the movie Alien? Moving pregnant bellies conjure up images from that movie. Glad you made it to Reno! News said there were earthquakes there today, did you feel any>

Kylie said...

Ha! You're funny! Yeah, I don't know if it's really like Alien, but think what you will.

There were earthquakes here? I definitely didn't feel anything. Weird.

Leisa Waldron said...

Yu so funny sistah!

Myriah Cohen said...

Wait? You missed earthquakes? Bummer!

I love earthquakes.

I was getting new tires the other day, and the guy was like, "so, did you feel the earthquake? It was a big one."

And I was like, "What?! No! SHOOT!"

I just love earthquakes.

Unknown said...

What!You have an active little creature within -- no surprise there -- Mikey was a very active little guy and delighted in doing somersaults -- right after I got to sleep. You know how Mike seems to be able to just "flop" to the floor without breaking anything, well I think he practised that maneouver from the time he was able to turn around. Did I mention that when he was finally ready to emerge into the world he was in a major hurry and was almost born in the middle of Stanley Park? Sorry, Mike, just had to spill the beans. (Of course, he was my second child so maybe that had something to do with it.

And, kylie you think your big now -- it gets better!

Love,

Gabrielle (the other Mom)

jo said...

That is crazy! I've never gotten to see a baby move! I can see why Mike might be a little apprehensive, but still... so cool!

Kylie said...

Yep, she's a mover. Probably a mover and a shaker. Probably a rebel, too, since she always stops moving when Mike tries to check her out. Or maybe she just has my sense of humor :)