Harper had her 2-month checkup yesterday. Here are her latest stats:
Head: 36.8cm
Length: 20.5"
Weight: 8lb, 10oz
She is in the 10% for her weight and head circumference, and the 3% for length.
To quote her pediatrician, "So...she's now the size of a large newborn!"
Where did this tiny kid come from?!
Since she was about 5 weeks old, Harper went from never crying to ALWAYS crying. She is all kinds of gassy and is never comfortable. She's definitely the happiest when she's being held, but I can't hold her constantly so there's a lot of crying throughout the day. So much so, in fact, that Sky likes to announce, "Hey Mommy! She's not crying now!" any time Harper is quiet. Poor girl. :(
I discussed the possible reasons for this with her pediatrician yesterday. I told her I didn't think it was colic, because she does calm down when she's held and is obviously upset because of indigestion. I also told her I didn't think it was reflux for several reasons, and she agreed that reflux most likely isn't the problem.
And so begins the thing I've dreaded: I am now on a dairy-free diet.
You might think, "That's not so bad." But I'm that girl who can finish off a gallon of milk in a few days. Almost everything I eat involves milk or cheese. Or at least a little butter. In other words, I may starve.
A few awesome friends have sent me info on rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk (which I'm not trying yet since soy is another common irritant for infants), butter substitutes, etc. Cheese is basically out altogether. There are some fakies out there, but from what I've read they are either nasty or WAY to expensive to consider.
If dairy is the problem, Harper should be a new kid in about 10 days. That's what we are praying for! I would LOVE for her to be a happy baby without having to be held constantly! I feel so bad that she's always uncomfortable.
Plus, maybe I'll lose some weight just by saying adios to my beloved cheese?
Today is Day 1. I had a close call with some string cheese, and very nearly fell victim to a glass of milk, but I've somehow made it through.
Breakfast was oatmeal (made with water, not milk...blah), lunch was a peanut butter and honey sandwich, I ate a handful of veggie straws and a few Cheez-Its. Dinner will be french toast, with a little rice milk. We'll see how it goes.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
2-Months and The New, [Downgraded] Dairy-Free Me
Posted by Kylie at 5:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
She is so little! I can't wait to see her. I am glad she is still small since it has been TWO MONTHS since she was born. Holy Moly. This was Crew at 2 months...http://joshandleisa.blogspot.com/2009/06/smiles-and-numbers.html
I know you mentioned all the types of milk you're going to try, but I just thought I'd mention that I love cooking with coconut milk. I made oatmeal the other day with it (it doesn't give it a coconut taste in my opinion) and I make french toast with it too. Fake cheeses are really gross (the ones I've tried anyway, blah). Good luck with it!
Good luck, Kylie! I gave up dairy for a few months when I was nursing Evelyn and it was so tough...I hadn't realized how much dairy was in EVERYTHING I cook and eat.
I sure hope it solves the problem and that little Harper begins feeling better soon!
How does the whole non dairy thing go for you?? I hope all is well and gets better for little Harper soon. Call me if you need someone to come and holdher for you. Seriously with D home now I have a lot of flexibility ;)
PS Two of my 4 children were larger at birth than Harper is now. Sad for me huh. :)
Post a Comment